Berkeley Springs Treasure Tour:
Park Superintendent’s Office
South of the swimming pool stands a small brick building which shares the honor of oldest park building with the Roman Bath House. A rough frame building in this area was described in 1787 as a “Poor People’s Bath” and in 1850 as having shower, spout and artificial warm baths. In 1885 it was identified as hot baths then converted to rest rooms in 1930. At some point it was bricked.
The trim around the roof dates to the Victorian period. Today, the building also houses the park superintendent’s office. Like the Roman Bath House, the original frame version of this building is claimed as a James Rumsey construction.
Outside the south edge of this building is an 80’ tulip poplar selected to represent West Virginia by the American Beautification Fund and White House Millennium Council in 2001 because it witnessed and reflects the heritage of the town and springs.