Berkeley Springs Treasure Tour:
Lord Fairfax’s Spring
Lord Fairfax’s spring is hugged by rocks as it empties into the southernmost spring pool. In the 1850s there was a rough shanty over it, allegedly one built by Fairfax who always reserved a spring for his own use, a claim that was formalized when the Virginia Legislature established the Town of Bath at the springs in 1776. This spring provided water to the succession of covered bath houses and currently supplies water to the outdoor pool.