Berkeley Springs Treasure Tour:
Central Water System
In 1892, a central water system for the town was established by private investors using the famous springs. The Berkeley Springs Water Works constructed the brick building behind and to the north of the Roman Bathhouse as a water pumping station on land leased from the park. The building reverted to the park when the town built a new water department building in 1978. The springs continue as source of the public water supply in the greater Berkeley Springs area.
The main spring under cover directly behind the Roman Bath House provides water for the Roman Baths, the public fountain and to Spring House Water Company which bottles and sells it. Often the water company’s tanker truck can be seen gathering water directly from the springs.