George Washington’s Bathtub Celebration
Friday through Sunday, March 17-19, 2017
BERKELEY SPRINGS, WV —– Berkeley Springs celebrates its most unique historical site, George Washington’s Bathtub, with a weekend devoted to dollar sales, local history and music. From Friday through Sunday, March 17-19, the tiny spa town highlights the country’s only outdoor monument to presidential bathing. The stone tub located in Berkeley Springs State Park was recently named one of the world’s six most breathtaking baths by Smithsonian Magazine.
The season’s opening of the Museum of the Berkeley Springs is a main event of the weekend highlighted by the traditional reading from Washington’s papers at 2pm on Sunday. This year, readers John Douglas and Jeanne Mozier are using Washington’s activities in the region to discuss “George Washington-First Tourist”.
Shopping specials prove that Washington’s face still means something in Berkeley Springs with dollar related discounts and sales on everything from bars of George Washington Bath soap and unbuttered popcorn to cherry pie.
According to event organizers, the mid-March weekend was selected because it is the anniversary of Washington’s first visit to the springs in 1748 when he was a 16-year-old surveyor’s assistant.
“One thing Washington complained about when he visited Berkeley Springs in later years was not having a place to stay,” said Laura Smith, Administrator of Travel Berkeley Springs. “It’s not true now.” Dozens of lodging options range from Victorian B&Bs in town to rustic cabins and fully equipped vacation homes along the rivers and ridges.
For all the details of Washington Bathtub weekend specials, check posters featuring George in a tub posted around town, or call 1-800-447-8797. George Washington’s Bathtub Celebration is produced by Travel Berkeley Springs.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS – Friday through Sunday, March 17-19, 2017
ALL WEEKEND LONG
- Berkeley Springs Books • $1 off on 2 bars of George Washington Bath Soap & George Washington books
- Star Theatre 8pm • “La La Land” $1 unbuttered box of popcorn.
- The Country Inn • Peanut soup and cherry pie.
- Tari’s Cafe • $1 off cream of crab soup or weekend specialty drinks when you mention George’s Bathtub.
- Cacapon State Park • 6-8pm • St Patrick’s Day Dinner Buffet with musician Mike Clement.
- The Granary 7:30pm • St. Patrick on stage.
- Museum of the Berkeley Springs • 11-4pm • Season Opening.
- Cacapon State Park • 10am • Tree Identification.
- Cacapon State Park • 1:30pm • Master Naturalist guided hike.
- Museum of the Berkeley Springs • 2pm • Traditional Readings from George Washington’s Papers.