George Washington’s Bathtub Celebration
Thursday through Sunday, March 17-20, 2016
BERKELEY SPRINGS, WV —– Berkeley Springs celebrates its most unique historical site, George Washington’s Bathtub, with a weekend devoted to dollar sales, local history and music. From Thursday through Sunday, March 17-20, the tiny spa town highlights the country’s only outdoor monument to presidential bathing. The stone tub located in Berkeley Springs State Park was recently named one of the world’s six most breathtaking baths by Smithsonian Magazine.
The season’s opening of the Museum of the Berkeley Springs is a main event of the weekend highlighted by the traditional reading from Washington’s papers at 2pm on Saturday. This year, readers John Douglas and Jeanne Mozier are using Washington’s activities in the region to discuss his career as a warrior with special emphasis on the French and Indian War.
The weekend starts early on St. Patrick’s Day with the U.S. premiere of Before We Arrive: The Story of the Weber Brothers at the Star Theatre with prices for the rock documentary $1 off standard prices. Live music is available throughout the weekend with the Weber Brothers appearing live at the Troubadour on Friday at 8:30pm and five bands on Saturday at the American Legion for the Petapalooza Humane Society benefit.
Bath Water Brewpub has live local music both Friday and Saturday.
Shopping specials prove that Washington’s face still means something in Berkeley Springs with dollar related discounts and sales on everything from bars of George Washington Bath soap and unbuttered popcorn to cherry pie. Jules, Enchanting Gifts and Collectibles’ has half off George Washington Finger Puppet Magnets for the kickoff of the PuppetMe Contest. Berkeley Springs Memories makes it easy taking a single “George” off every $10 sale.
According to event organizers, the mid-March weekend was selected because it is the anniversary of Washington’s first visit to the springs in 1748 when he was a 16-year-old surveyor’s assistant.
“One thing Washington complained about when he visited Berkeley Springs in later years was not having a place to stay,” said Laura Smith, Administrator of Travel Berkeley Springs. “It’s not true now.” Dozens of lodging options range from Victorian B&Bs in town to rustic cabins and fully equipped vacation homes along the rivers and ridges.
For all the details of Washington Bathtub weekend specials, check posters featuring George in a tub posted around town, or call 1-800-447-8797. George Washington’s Bathtub Celebration is produced by Travel Berkeley Springs.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS – Thursday through Sunday, March 17-20, 2016
ALL WEEKEND LONG
- Berkeley Springs Memories • $1 off every $10 spent
- Jules, Enchanting Gifts and Collectibles • 50% off George Washington Finger Puppet Magnets and the kickoff of the PuppetMe Contest
- Berkeley Springs Books • $1 off on bars of George Washington Bath Soap & George Washington books
- Star Theatre 8pm • “The Revenant” (R) w/Leonardo DiCaprio @ the Star Theatre. $1 unbuttered box of popcorn.\
- 7:30pm – U.S. premier of “Before We Arrive: The Story of the Weber Brothers @ the Star Theatre w/$1 off regular prices
- $1 Cherry Pie @ The Country Inn
- Bath Water Brewpub – 5pm-close: variety of local musicians performing; Food and Drink Specials
- Live music with the Weber Brothers 8:30pm at the Troubadour Lounge.
- Museum of the Berkeley Springs • 2pm • Readings from George Washington’s Journals
- Cacapon State Park • 10-11am • Story of the Landscape guided hike
Ice House – 4-6pm Chakra bracelet class @ the Ice House w/ Maya Fredo
- Live music with Mike Clemente • 7-9 pm @ Bath Water Brewpub.
- St. Patty’s Day Party 7-10pm with David Elliott @ The Country Inn
Petapalooza benefits the Humane Society @ the American Legion. 7-11pm Live music: five bands